Singing their way to the top

Mirabelle Williams, Entertainment Editor

For some people, singing may be something that doesn’t leave the shower, but for others, it’s become a whole lot more. 

Juniors Kaitlyn Wales and Eowyn Ream are prime examples of this. For as long as both of them can remember, they have loved to sing. 

“I’ve sung in church my whole life, and my older cousin sings too. I’ve always wanted to follow in her footsteps,” Wales said. 

Ream’s story is similar, as she started singing because of her older sister. Regardless of origin, their shared love of singing brought them together for a new adventure: the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) honor choir. 

ACDA honor choir is a national choir of around 300 singers. The singers come together for a camp-like experience of vocal exploration. They get to work with some of the most talented instructors as well as sing alongside leading vocalists from the nation. The selection process is incredibly challenging as only the very best will get the opportunity to be in the choir.

“I auditioned a couple of months ago with thousands of other choir students across the nation, and they picked just the top singers,” Wales said. “There’s two different choirs: the SSAA which is all girls and the SATV which is co-ed. I’m in the SSAA portion.”

After being selected, the singers were assigned the task of learning six to seven songs. Next, they all came together in Cincinnati, Ohio, from February 22 to 26 for four days of singing, learning, and community. 

“Once we arrived, we went through three days of group rehearsals, a dress rehearsal, and a performance,” Ream said. “It was an awesome opportunity and we learned a ton, as well as had a lot of fun.”

Since returning from the event, the singers said it was an experience they will never forget. 

“It was really cool to be in a choir with so many powerful voices from around the nation,” Wales said. “I sat next to girls from Louisiana, Wyoming, and Colorado. Getting to know so many new people with similar interests to mine was really special.”

ACDA holds an honor choir annually, and though ACDA switches off from being a state and national choir, both Wales and Ream plan to audition again.

“It was really fun! I’m already looking forward to next year, even though it won’t be national again. ACDA is an incredible experience,” Wales said.