Senior side hustler: Leo Fan

Rachel Hoki, Senior Writer

What does a BBC reporter, a suave French man, a firefighter, an Ethiopian intern, and a man who’s been held at gunpoint six times all have in common?

The answer couldn’t be more obvious: they are all people that senior Leo Fan has met in Starbucks, through his business of buying and reselling electronics.

It started at the end of his junior year, when he was inspired by a friend’s work in reselling sneakers.

“You typically sell things that you like. I love electronics,” Fan said.

He primarily uses online sources such as Facebook Marketplace and OfferUp to buy and sell electronics – which includes cell phones, computers, cameras, and headphones. 

Getting started wasn’t easy, especially since Fan had to first invest a lot of money in items before reselling them and earning profits.

“I didn’t get to really, really throw myself at it until July – mostly because there’s a huge mental block. You’re like, ‘holy, I’m about to blow $1,000 on stupid toys.’ Because that’s what they are. They’re all toys,” Fan said.

Even after overcoming this “mental block,” the job was still hard work. Fan dedicates much of his time to researching and calculating how much he can profit through resale before buying electronic items. When he meets up with his sellers (and buyers) at his default Starbucks cafe, he’s learned to always bargain prices to maximize his gains.

But Fan isn’t simply in it for the money.

“Forget the cash; meeting with the people is priceless,” he said.

Fan has met nothing short of a diverse array of individuals through his job. For instance, there’s Mohammed, who’s been held at gunpoint several times doing deals in Kent at 3 AM. There’s also a firefighter that left for a five-month Texas road trip, who Fan plans to hang out with upon return.

“I feel like I’ve made a friend for life. The time you spend with the guy, the excitement you guys both share – that’s special,” Fan said.

He will no doubt continue this enjoyable side hustle in the future.

“Consistently, I can say that I throw myself at challenges that I think are worthwhile and give me a lot of growth,” Fan said, “and it’s so much fun. It’s gotten me really far. This is what high school is about – experiencing these fun little endeavors.”