Boy’s golf swings through a near impeccable record this season

Sabrina Holmes, Staff Writer

It is 3:45 pm on September 27. Two teams have been tied for the past 20 minutes. The last shot is lined up. The player swings the club, and the ball rolls into the hole. Cheers erupt as Liberty boys golf comes out on top yet again. 

The boy’s golf team continues to put on their A-game. Despite a loss on October 5, their team spirit and optimistic attitude endures. 

“We can always cheer each other up if we have a bad hole,” senior Jack Adams said.
The boy’s golf team has won six of their eight matches this season and placed third in KingCo. While any sport has its ups and downs, the boy’s golf team stays present in the moment.

“I just go through it hole by hole and try to play it through. I try not to get ahead of myself mentally,” Adams said. 

The players say it’s important to stay positive, and if something doesn’t go the way that they want it to, it’s important to move on. 

“The biggest thing that our coach tells us is to flush the last shot. If you have a bad shot, forget about it and keep your head up for the next one,” junior Kellan Cour said. 

Their attitude has paid off. This coming Monday, five players are headed toward districts with many individuals receiving KingCo team awards.

Sophomore Calvin Cakarnis was awarded first team all KingCo. Adams and sophomore Jay Sakagami followed Cakarnis, with both being awarded second team all KingCo and junior Keegan Leavitt earning an honorable mention.

But the team doesn’t plan to stop at Districts. Coach Jon Kinsley predicts that the team or at least several individual players will advance to state, which will take place during the spring.