Girls cross country takes second at State

Katherine Sergeeva, Staff Writer

After a successful season last year, the girls cross country team returned to the state championships and took second place. Despite losing two of the senior state runners from last year, the Patriots ran a 5,000 meter race with an average time of 19 minutes and 48 seconds, on the Sun Willows Golf Course in Pasco.
“We worked so hard, I’m really proud of us,” freshman Kerstin Ly said. “ I think it was a super successful season, as successful as it could have been. I cannot be more happy for my team and myself.
The Patriots started the season off strong, placing first at the Fort Steilacoom Invitational on September 17. They continued their streak of success by placing ninth in the Danner Division at the Nike Portland meet, first at the 3A/2A Kingco Championship meet on October 20th, and first at District Championships.
Although the team lost last year’s second best finisher Sophia Lindstrom to injury, the team, led by senior captain Brigette Takeuchi, finished with 101 points, with three girls placing in the top sixteen at state.
“In 2015, we did better in terms of overall placement at State, but the injury of one of last year’s State runners made this season more challenging,”coach Mike Smith said. “But the team didn’t give up, even after many setbacks, and that made me really proud of them.”
Members of the team have high hopes for the upcoming year. Although the loss of the team’s five seniors will impact them significantly, many claim that by maintaining their effort and enthusiasm, they will be able to stimulate one another to preserve their achievement in the next season.
“It’s going to be harder, because all our seniors are leaving,” Ly said, “They are the core of the varsity team, so the goal for next year is just to get to state or just to push as hard as we can, and there’s nothing more you can ask for.”