Think Before You Drink

Maria Culwell, Staff Writer

I cannot tell you how many times I have walked into school and seen a red bull in every other person’s hand. This drink has become not just a beverage, but an accessory for the common Liberty student. Why are people constantly gravitating toward such a disgusting drink? Red bull is expensive, tastes abominable, and causes serious long-term health issues.

Red Bull is significantly more expensive than competing drinks. In fact, you can buy a drink for the same price as Starbucks, which at least provides you with a cozy environment, rather than a gas station fridge.      

Although inflation has continued to affect corporation pricing, it does not excuse the high price tag on Red Bulls. Take Arizona tea, for example, a brand that has been thriving since 1992. Even as times have changed their price point continues to stay at 99 cents. Red bull prices, on the other hand, continue to skyrocket. If I am paying that much money for a can, then I better receive some wings.

These exorbitant aluminum cans have also consumed every procrastinating, insomniac at Liberty with their battery acid flavor. In every standard grocery store, there are several isles of cold beverages ready to quench your thirst. On top of that, customers are offered several flavors from cherry to blue raspberry. Yet, our generation still manages to prioritize watered-down sugar. It is not an acquired taste… It is disgusting!

If the atrocious flavor of Red Bull is not enough to keep you away, then your health should be a good enough reason. Standard health practices such as sleeping 8 hours or drinking water have been replaced with a 12 oz can. 

Despite its energizing appeal, Red Bull is deteriorating youthful bodies. Red Bull often sponsors several athletes ranging from basketball to skiing. However, it is very unlikely that competitors are feeding on a drink with several harsh chemicals which weaken overall performance. The acidity itself is detrimental to muscle, bone, and brain health. 

Few may argue that sugar-free red bull is a healthier alternative, however, its main artificial sweeteners–acesulfame K and aspartame–increase buyers’ chances of type 2 diabetes. Why sacrifice the life ahead of you for a refreshment?

Dictating beverage choices is not my goal. Regardless, it is my purpose to encourage you to consider your spending choices towards drinks that are not only bad for your taste buds, but for your general health. Overconsumption of anything is harmful. Therefore, when reaching for any energy drink keep in mind your body’s limits.