New club makes an IMPACT on Liberty

Mandy Latham, Senior Writer

Sophomore Gabie Owens has created a club, IMPACT, or Influencing My Peers as a Christian Teenager, a club that wants to be inclusive and more of a family. It started off as a passion project for ASB but has now become a club that hopes to make a major impact on Liberty.
“IMPACT’s purpose is to have other Christian teens make new friends, be more inclusive with people and also create a bit more Jesus-based community,” Owens said.
IMPACT is similar to Young Life which is a Christian ministry that reaches out to adolescents but IMPACT is in a school. Owens plans to have icebreaker games, discussions on value, a devotion and of course, food.
“I’m excited to make new relationships with students.” IMPACTS club advisor Alyssa O’Brien said. “I think finding new relationships not only with me as a teacher but with students I don’t have and seeing them come into my classroom and share and talk and connect but also than for other people to have that space.”
Both Owens and O’Brien say that anyone is welcome, whether they are just curious about the club or are strongly faith-based.
“The club meetings are pretty casual and relaxed but also safe: we can talk about life and whatever comes up,” O’Brien said.
The next club meeting is April 19 and continues every B-day Wednesday morning in O’Brien’s room, 5103, at 9:10 AM.