Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Page to screen: Liberty students’ take on book adaptations

Book to movie, maybe even show adaptations. Love ‘em or hate ‘em but they are forever memorialized in our minds and on the internet.

Many of Liberty’s students’ favorite books have been made into movies, tv shows, or have been adapted into other media. Whether it be from the Hunger Games, both the original trilogy and the The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, or the everlasting Percy Jackson series, they have been successfully and not so successfully adapted. 

“I really liked what they did with the music and stuff and making it like incorporating those lyrics but also putting that like folk tune into it,” Sophomore Aashna Sikka said. 

A common opinion shared by students is that the hunger games is a good example of an adaptation. It was faithful to the books in many ways, its beautiful story conveyed through following the plot, accurate casting, and the great acting that breathed life into the books.

“They did most of the casting correctly. There are a few things that they didn’t include, like how extravagant and self-obsessed some of the Capitol characters were, but I think it was a good choice for the movies just so that it seemed more realistic.” Sophomore Allyssa Nonis said.

While not perfect, The Hunger Games trilogy is one of the best and most faithful book to movie adaptations.

Now switching books, The Percy Jackson series has had a few attempts at translating the mythological world to other forms of media. The musical is not as known, and the movies are certainly not a favorite among liberty students in the fandom. 

“The movies did the books no justice, it wasn’t the same story.” Sophomore Marisol Mason said. 

And it seems she would speak for most students when she says the movies fell short of most expectations. These two movies are a great disappointment among most fans and students. 

The inappropriate age casting, cannon divergence, are detrimental to its reputation and the only thing appreciated among some of the fanbase, and liberty students is the affinity for Logan Learman

“One of the only things that make the Percy Jackson movies good is because Logan Lereman is hot.” Mason said.

Though Learman accurately portrayed Percy well, this shows how important having a strong plot that follows the beloved books. 

Though still under the umbrella of the Percy Jackson adaptations, the new show that just ended, is a serious success among its viewers. Covering the first book, The Lightning Thief, it expanded upon its characters and truthfully portrayed the story line.

“The story was more accurate. Of course, there were details that weren’t in it. But I think it was accurate, more accurate compared to the other adaptations.” Mason said.

It is then safe to assume the things that make adaptations good. 

In the eyes of Liberty students, adaptations that stick to the plot and characters that have resembling traits and features to the original are well perceived and loved.

About the Contributor
Kelsey Burnet
Kelsey Burnet, Staff Writer
Kelsey Burnet is a sophomore at Liberty High School and a staff writer for the Patriot Press. In her free time, she loves Taylor Swift, Batman and reading.