Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Sailing into the spring musical

This spring, the Patriot Players will be cruising into the 1930’s in style with the musical Anything Goes. Get to know the characters–and the actors behind the characters–before they board the S.S. American.

Why are you traveling on board the S.S. American?

Reno Sweeney/Mia W

I’m traveling on board with my angels to be a performer on the ship and to seek performing opportunities in London.

Hope Harcourt/Kaitlyn W

“I’m traveling on SS American to marry my fiance Evelyn Oakleigh in England.”

Billy/Andrew B

“Mostly for giggles. I want to see my love Hope and I’m just chilling’. Some of my friends are also on board, like my good friend Reno as well as my good friend Moonface. It’s mostly just kind of a spur of the moment decision, because why not?”

Hope’s mother/Christie B

I am traveling across the North Atlantic on the SS American because my daughter, Hope, is to be married to the very handsome Evelyn. I couldn’t be more excited for this wedding! I am very excited to see what celebrities are on board, since I adore to be amongst my fellow high class citizens.

Have you seen anything interesting on the ship yet? 

Reno Sweeney/Mia W

“Not so far. There’s a lot here that bores me, but I have heard of some commotion on board.”

Hope Harcourt/Kaitlyn W

“I have seen Reno Sweeney and this guy that I had a one night relationship with who showed up on the boat unexpectedly. Apparently he’s going to be traveling, too, so that should be interesting.”

Billy/Andrew B

“Well I’ve mostly been the one doing the interesting things I would say on board. I’ve had some adventures to say the least a couple of nights spent on deck in the moonlight. I mean, I wouldn’t say interesting but my girl, right my love Hope she and her fiance have been hanging around.”

Bonney/Mara M

“The men. There’s a lot of cute sailors out here.”

What do you think of Reno Sweeney?

Hope Harcourt/Kaitlyn W

“I know her to be a nightclub singer. Not necessarily my kind of crowd, but she seems nice and my fiance seems to have a certain liking towards her so I don’t know how to feel about that.”

Bonney/Mara M

“Oh, Reno’s great! Reno’s really really good.”

Hope’s mother/Christie B

I think she is a notorious night club singer and as she is a former evangelist, I do not respect her.

How do you feel about having a celebrity on board the ship?

The Steward/ Joe C

“I think it makes the whole experience much more enjoyable.”

Hope’s mother/Christie B

I am very excited to have a celebrity on board the ship since I deserve to be amongst only the best.

Who do you think Evelyn should end up with/what do you think of Evelyn?

Reno Sweeney/Mia W

“I think he’s interesting. He’s like nobody I’ve ever met. He’s respectful and he doesn’t understand all my jokes.”

Hope’s mother/Christie B

I absolutely adore my sweetie Evelyn, he is without a doubt the best son in law I could wish for! Evelyn should certainly end up with Hope and they will be wed and the happiest of families!

If you were stuck on a deserted island and could only have one other person from the cruise ship with you, who would you choose? 

Reno Sweeney/Mia W

“Well, usually I would say Billy because he’s one of my best pals. I think he’s just a great guy. But I met this Englishman named Evelyn Oakleigh and he interests me a lot. So maybe I’d say him.”

Billy/Andrew B

“Definitely Hope, definitely. Oh, she’s my love, after all. She’s my girl.”

Bonney/Mara M

“Oh, Mooney for sure. Moony’s my right hand man.”

The Steward/ Joe C

“Well, that’s a tough one. I probably have to go with Moonface Martin. He’s pretty crazy. But he seems like he’d be pretty fun to hang out with.”

What has been your favorite part of preparing for this musical?

The Steward/ Joe C

“I just enjoy hanging out with everybody in the cast. Everyone is, you know, we’re all really good friends. And I just love hanging out with everybody and just working together and just having fun.”

Hope’s mother/Christie B

I love being able to get close with new people and enjoy time with friends. Joking around backstage with my people is by far the most enjoyable part of being a part of the musical and I have gotten much closer with many castmates.

How long have you been doing theater? How would you say it’s impacted you?

Reno Sweeney/Mia W

“I’ve been doing theater technically since sixth grade, but I’ve been going to shows with my mom and my grandma and my sister for longer than that.  I think theater has really helped me get closer with my family and also a lot of my friends. Also, it has just really helped me grow as a person and given me opportunities to improve myself, whether that’s vocals and dance or just confidence and being sure about myself.”

Billy/Andrew B

“I’ve been in the performing arts my entire life. I only really got into theater specifically in freshman year, but I’ve done dance since I was three and performances every year since then.”

What has been your favorite memory from participating in theater at Liberty? 

Hope Harcourt/Kaitlyn W

“Probably the state thespian competitions. It’s a full day where everyone gets to go a field trip together, do a bunch of workshops, and hang out for the whole day. It’s a super fun experience and I’d recommend it to anyone that is interested in doing theater.”

Bonney/Mara M

“Getting to try new things, getting to push myself in the roles that I want to achieve and just also just being determined on learning my lines and such helps me feel independent and good about what I’m doing. “

About the Contributor
Katelyn Martin
Katelyn Martin, Senior Writer
Katelyn Martin is a senior at Liberty High School and a senior writer for the Patriot Press. She plays on the Liberty tennis team, and in her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, being outside, and going to Disneyland.