Caraline Rayner: rocking through school with her band

Sylvia Aquino, Staff Writer

The process behind music production is extremely complex, requiring musical knowledge, musical talent and many hours of free time. Freshman Caraline Rayner has this all, making music with her two friends and their band: Tomino’s Hell.

“We all play instruments, and we thought it’d be a good idea to start making music,” Rayner said. “Music helps all of us a lot, and we want people to experience joy from ours.”

Rayner is the guitarist and main vocalist for Tomino’s Hell, while her friends play the drums and bass. 

“We mostly play metal or a kind of alternative rock, mostly heavier stuff,” Rayner said.

A typical practice session for Rayner and her band usually consists of rehearsing some of their songs. They also go over old songs and make changes to constantly improve on them. “We make all kinds of changes to make our songs better.”

Most of Tomino’s Hell’s songs are born out of improvisation. 

“Whenever we’re trying to come up with a song, it just comes to one of us,” Rayner said. “It could be a drum beat or a guitar or bass riff, and we just build off of that.” 

Tomino’s Hell not only writes songs but also performs them locally. Along with their performances, they are also planning on recording their music. 

“We’ve got recording equipment, and we’re going to start recording our songs soon,” Rayner said. “Once we get all our songs recorded, we’re going to release them on Spotify.”

Rayner’s passion for music and songwriting drives her to continue putting time in time to her band while balancing it with school.

“I love everything about being in a band, it’s all great. Being able to have something that’s your own and being able to make music that’s helped others is amazing,” Rayner said. “Music helps me get through everything, including school.”

Rayner hopes to pursue music after graduating from high school and make it a career.

“That’s our main plan, but if it doesn’t work out, playing small gigs is enough for us,” Rayner said.