Liberty students make the most of their birthdays while in quarantine

Celebrating a birthday while social distancing might be hard, but for senior Elyssa Minton, a birthday spent in quarantine was made extra special by her friends. “A couple of my friends came over to my house early in the morning to draw a huge chalk mural in my driveway,” Minton said.

Naia Willemsen, Spotlight Editor

A few months ago, if people with spring birthdays were asked how they imagined their special days, they’d probably imagine a typical birthday: partying with some friends, eating cake, and maybe spending time with extended family.

But with stay-at-home orders in place, that typical celebration isn’t an option right now.

However, senior Elyssa Minton, who celebrated her birthday on April 11, proved that spending a birthday in quarantine can still be special—even while socially distancing. 

“I have the best friends in the world, so they actually contacted my parents and planned a whole day of surprises!” Minton said. Her day began with a chalk mural drawn by her friends with her driveway and improved from there.

“My friends called me outside to find all of them in my cul-de-sac for a drive-by parade, and they dropped off cards, gifts, and my favorite treats,” Minton said. Of course, no social distancing would be complete without a Zoom call, which is how Minton ended her 18th birthday.

For junior Bryn Ament, whose birthday was April 23rd, her birthday started out similarly to Minton’s—with a birthday parade from some of her best friends. She continued her special day by giving back to some of the community.

“My sister drove me to my favorite coffee stand, and we paid for everyone who showed up to get their coffee and we sat in cars and talked for a while!” Ament said.

While Ament and Minton’s birthdays were very different from the ordinary birthday celebration, both found them special.

“Even though we weren’t able to spend time together in person, my best friends made my birthday so special and one that I’ll always remember,” Minton said. 

And for Ament, this year’s birthday was possibly even better than normal.

“Honestly, I don’t think I would’ve celebrated much if I wasn’t in quarantine,” Ament said. “I probably would’ve just gone to dinner with my family, but since I hadn’t seen my friends in over a month, I wanted to celebrate with them so much more.”