Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

How to try out cheer and drill

Cheer and Drill are both seen at many school events, like assemblies and games. With blue and green uniforms, smiles, and dances, both teams bringing school spirit is not an uncommon sight at Liberty.

In fact, both teams are holding try-outs next month. Drill and cheer are sports with an incredible family dynamic and impressive athletic ability that are looking for new people to join their team.

“I would say the connections I made are the best parts about cheer. It is honestly a family and I love how it’s put me out of my comfort zone for so many years in the best way possible,” senior Maria Culwell said.

Cheer may seem like a daunting sport for some. Catapulting through the air and cheering for Liberty sports are some things the team does, just to name a few. However, the sport is much more than that.

“Cheer is definitely worth the commitment and the work we put in. A lot of people see it as, oh, it’s the hair, it’s the pom poms,” Culwell said. “That’s only ten percent of everything we do. If you’re on the fence of trying out, try out! Definitely put yourself out there.”

Cheer tryouts are three days long, from May 21 to 24. The last day of tryouts is performing in front of the coaches.To prepare, Culwell suggests starting stretching now alongside practicing cheering and dancing.

“Flexibility is not the only thing we look for but it’s very important that you’re well rounded,” Culwell said. “We’re looking for people who work hard, but we’re also not expecting people to come perfect. I would definitely say just do your best.”

Alongside Cheer, the Drill team is also holding tryouts later this month. There was a tryout meeting on April 25, and tryouts start from April 29. People that go to tryouts will be taught a dance, and will practice basic techniques such as dance skills for the team. The third day of tryouts will be performing a learned routine to the coaches.

“We usually have 4 normal competitions which lead to districts and then state,” junior Lily Warner said. Drill also has practice three times a week. “I would recommend those that are interested in trying out to stretch and learn some of the recommended skills like turns, leaps, headstands, and other skills.”

This year, the drill team made their way to state this year, winning third place in 3A military and taking home third in 1A/2A/3A kick.

“I am so proud of the team this year, we had a really successful and fun season. We got to bring home tons of awards throughout the season,” Warner said.

In addition to obviously being a dance team, Drill has also built its own community. Small things like team bonding at competitions and performing together at competitions add up to create a close-knit team.

“I think that we are all very close and it is really cool to be able to make friends from all different grade levels. We all have so much fun together and I have so much love for every single person on the team,” Warner said.

About the Contributor
Gracie Aryal
Gracie Aryal, Staff Writer
Gracie Aryal is a sophomore at Liberty High School and a staff writer for the Patriot Press. She enjoys going down Wikipedia rabbit holes and spending time with friends.