Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Liberty boys’ swive make a dive for victory

Swaying side to side huddled in a big circle, the Boys’ Swim and Dive team prepares to compete, the lyrics of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” ringing in their ears. This is only the start of the things you would see when attending one of their meets.

A new season brought light to a new coach, Emma Reame,  “I tend to plan pretty hard workouts,” coach Emma said, “but they give it their best, then ask to play a pool game afterwards. They definitely like to have fun” The spirit of the team is prominent in moments like this and also before and after a meet where they do their chants.

The team begins their meet by gathering everyone into a circle with the captains in the middle leading chants, this is where Eminem tends to get quoted. “We do some call and response between the captain and the team.” junior Mathew Brady explained. “After that we all say win in unison, then we splash like crazy in the water and make some noise” 

The spirit of the team continues through all aspects of swimming- even what they are wearing. Swimmer Mathew Brady turned up to a meet wearing a customized speedo consisting of team mate Shawn Le’s face.

“I think it’s just funny to wear at comps, and it represents Liberty swim at dive meets,” Brady explained “I got it because Shawn is sexy.”

Other teammates see it as a symbol to their community “The speedo is a motivator” junior David Terayama said. 

The team as a whole works as a motivator for each other “We have a very close knit team,” senior Zach Battis says.  “I think we’re able to hype each other up at swim meets and make sure that everyone swims their fastest.” 

As the season comes to an end their hard work is paying off and some of the swimmers are anticipating going to state.  I feel like with the work that we put in, and the amount of time that we put in, it’s really brought this season to a really nice close” Sophomore Alex Nemirovsky.

About the Contributor
Lillian Antin
Lillian Antin, Staff Writer
Lillian is a staff writer and a junior at Liberty High school. She is the vice president of Liberty’s astronomy club and is involved in dance outside of school. In her free time she enjoys sewing, painting and reading.