Introducing freshman girlboss wrestler and rugby player: Kiona Hill

Mishaal Khan, Staff Writer

When you think of wrestling, the first thing that often comes to mind is sweaty teenage boys in strange suits trying to strangle each other. Now imagine a girl in the center of the mat, who’s going at it and wrestling both genders. That girl is none other than Kiona Hill, a hardcore freshman who wrestles both guys and gals at our very own Liberty High School. 

This year, Liberty’s wrestling team has two girls on it—one of which is Hill.

When thinking back to what got her into wrestling, Hills points to her family.

“Both of my parents suggested wrestling because they thought I’d be good at it since I enjoy playing contact sports,” Hill said.

Though Hill has wrestled before in the 7th grade, she mentioned that this year felt like her first due to the pandemic shutting everything down.

Not only does Hill enjoy wrestling, she also encourages other girls to join the team. 

“To any other girl who’s scared of joining wrestling because it’s a male-dominated sport or that no other girls are going to join, “it’s an opportunity that you’re not always gonna get,” Hill said.“And since you’re part of the team, you get to go on your own tournament. So you get more mat time than the boys.”

And that’s not all: Hill is not only one of the female wrestlers on Liberty’s team, but she is also a talented rugby player as well.

“I was young when my sister started playing rugby, and I would play along with her team,” Hill said.

Hill really enjoys playing rugby, and, as a result, she’s been playing for more than four years. She has played in dozens of rugby matches and won many of them.  

“Rugby is such a great sport, I find it very special how after every game, we are able to sit down with our opponents, share a meal, and make great conversation. I’ve made very good friends through my rugby team and many others, and I would encourage everyone to give it a try at least once in their life.”