Sports credits: ineffective and idiotic

Nathan Jackson, Editor In Chief

PE credits are more nuisance than requirement. You do need 1.5, but you’re forced to complete a year of PE freshman year, which means you need only one semester after that. Easily completed through Team Sports, Weight Training, or any other class, the PE credit requirement normally is an afterthought for most students. For student athletes, the requirement should be equally unimportant, because normally they can complete their requirement through whatever sport(s) they may play.
However, it takes not one, but two seasons to get the same credit. On top of that, both Drill and Cheer receive only a quarter credit for a year’s worth of work. Liberty’s athletes, despite putting in countless hours of work, get practically nothing in return.

The measly quarter credit athletes receive is practically disrespectful. A sports season, without taking into account any games or postseason, is roughly 68 hours long. A student in a PE class spends 45 hours in class a semester (including changing times).
Already there’s a 23 hour difference, and it becomes even larger when games/meets are taken into account. Athletes spend more hours doing arguably harder work, so why do they receive only half the “reward” as a normal PE class?
“You spend more hours practicing and playing than PE. A season should be worth at least 0.5 credits because of the work and money you pour into your sport,” junior gymnast Katrina Nolan said.
Other students agree with Katrina’s sentiment.
“You do more work through continuous practices, games, and conditioning. It’s on your own time, it’s more than what you do in regular PE classes,” sophomore football and track athlete Dylan Peterson said.
Drill and cheer face an even worse situation. They practice nearly year round, averaging out 168 hours per year, not counting performances done for school events, competitions, or postseason. They practice almost triple the amount as a normal athlete, and nearly quadruple the amount than a normal student. Yet their year of hard work apparently is equal to playing football with friends during 6th period.
However, Liberty’s system is better than other schools.
“Some districts don’t even offer PE waivers,” Athletic Director Danielle Zelinski said, “Some do independent PE studies. So I think overall [Liberty’s waivers] are a nice option for students.”
But a flawed system can (and should) be improved. Liberty’s athletes put in countless hours of work and get practically nothing in return. Students should be required to obtain PE credits, but at the very least, allow them to get them their own way.