Drill team starts the season off strong

Jacob Hepp, Staff Writer

The drill team is already off to a great start this year, in part because they retained their head coach, Lindsay Starr, who led them to two State titles last year.
Starr, who coached the 2012-13 and 2014-15 seasons at Liberty, also coaches at Decatur in Federal Way, and has been for fifteen years. In order for her to coach the Liberty drill team, she must drive an inconvenient hour and a half to get here, and then drive an hour and a half back to her home in Port Orchard, showing just how dedicated she is to this team.
“We have great kids here at Liberty. Good, humble, hardworking kids,” Starr said. “The biggest difference I have seen this year compared to last year is all positive. The team is a team, the kids are having fun while working hard and with each passing week our skill is increasing. Everybody who is there is there because they want to be.”
Last year, the drill team took home the first place victories in the categories of military, which they won in 2A, and kick, which they won in 3A—the only two categories they entered in.
“We were double state champions last year, first time in school history,” Starr said. “And while we can’t control the outcome of how state might go this year, we strive to be our best and give it our all and let the rest take care of itself.”
The drill team plans to compete in similar categories this year. They will be competing in military, kick, and may be competing in pom.
The season is looking promising already.
“Our skill set this year is a lot more developed than it was at this point last year,” sophomore Maddie Lam said.
The drill team will perform this season at home varsity football games, where they perform at half time and you can also see them at the Spirit assembly at the end of homecoming week.