Fastpitch aims to bring it all home

Nate Jarvis, Sports Editor

The softball team has officially accomplished their goal of making it to State. The team enters the tournament with a current record of 13-12. The athletes play its first tournament game on Friday, May 30 against Kamiakan in Lacey.

The team made it to Districts and played a double header against Nathan Hale and Bainbridge on Wednesday, May 21. The Patriots delivered a blow against Nathan Hale, beating them by a 12 point margin and allowing only one run for a final score of 13-1. Against Bainbridge the Patriots fell short by one run. Many players believe that the reason for their 12-13 loss was a blown call by the umpires.

Their coach of two years, Zach Bartholomew, believes that mental toughness and leadership from the team captains, seniors Liza VanCamp and Ashley Knox and junior Sydney Hopper will be key to the team’s success.

“Tightening up our defense, continuing to swing the bat and battling through all the ups and downs will determine how successful the team ends up,” junior Carina Morris said.

The Patriots defeated Mt. Si with a score of 8-4 on May 1. The game was won with good hitting by sophomore Maddy O’Connor and Morris, who contributed to the five RBIs. On the defensive end, VanCamp controlled the pitching circle against the Wildcats with four strikeouts.

Sophomore Madi Jones got her first varsity career homerun against the Interlake Saints on April 18. after playing mainly left field and some short stop. According to Morris, Jones and O’Connor have some of the best arms on the team, and being young that promises to set up the team for next year.