Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

What I think the language you’re learning on Duolingo says about you…

Spanish: Congratulations! You’re a completely average person. You are learning Spanish on Duolingo because you are trying to pass your Spanish class, or you just wanted to fit into the crowd and jump on everyone’s favorite language learning app so you picked the default language. No shame in that as long as you keep your streak up and don’t upset the bird!

French: Your dream is to study abroad one day, walking on old cobblestone streets and romanticizing your life. You have a crush on a random French man, like Timothee Chalamet or Voltaire. When someone asks if you speak another language, you fight the urge to say you speak French, even if you only know two phrases and one of them is “ça va bien” – are you really doing alright? Maybe you can meet Timothee one day and speak to him in his mother tongue!

Japanese: In your free time, you enjoy relaxing by watching a good Japanese film or TV show. You become really attached to the characters or plot which could lead you down a very emotional path during it- and that’s okay! Some may say you’re “overemotional” or “crying for no reason”, but sometimes the films just hit differently, you know? Extra points if you’re watching the film WITHOUT the English subtitles :).

Korean: Whether you’re buying overpriced food and drinks, K-Pop concert tickets, or trendy clothing, you have no control over your spending habits and you learn Korean to justify your decisions. Your financial choices often lead to amazing memories, but also an empty bank account. Before using money, think to yourself – do I need this to further my language learning? If the answer is no, maybe stick to watching concerts from the comfort of your phone.

About the Contributor
Kathryn Langworthy
Kathryn Langworthy, Staff Writer
Kathryn Langworthy is a sophomore at Liberty High School and a staff writer for the Patriot Press. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, playing piano, and reorganizing her room.