Is online school more or less stressful?

Ella Gage, News Editor

Less than a year ago, our 2020 lifestyle would’ve been unimaginable. A student can wake up three minutes before class starts, go onto the Zoom app on their phone, do all their classes from their bed, nap at lunch, and still get good grades. Our current school model certainly has its benefits. Online school has always been an option, but the difference is, now it’s the only option, and one size does not fit all. So, as luxurious as online school can be (and easy on the sleep schedule), it certainly has its downsides. 

The online learning format definitely does not cater to all learning styles and needs. It has the independent, hands-off learning structure of a college course, and requires independence and focus for long periods of time. Self-motivated learning, though preparing us for the real world, may be a struggle for some students. For kids that benefit from in-class instruction, have none of their friends to impress, have attention disorders, or simply experience a huge lack of motivation to go to eight classes for seven hours a day from a laptop or phone, the struggle is understandable. 

Is a significant amount of learning lost in the online model? Certainly. Students approach school with more of a get-it-done attitude than ever, which makes the learning more shallow. Cheating is infinitely easier. When you have the power of the whole internet at your disposal, why would a student even need to study for a test? Academic integrity is surely at an all-time low. 

That being said, for students who are able to focus and work independently, online school is a blessing. Getting good grades may be easier. Turning things in on time can be easy to keep track of, since everything is in one place. Online school requires more responsibility, much like college, and is mostly independent, allowing you to work at your own pace. Whether this is positive or negative depends on learning style.

In the end, people can complain all they want about online school. But do most Liberty students really miss waking up at 6 AM, driving to school in the dark, attending 90-minute long classes, being forced to participate in class, going to after-school sports or activities, getting home when it’s dark, and then doing homework until midnight? Doubtful. Regardless, students have to adjust. It’s not like there’s another option.