Benefits of honors colleges! why you should apply!

Mary Russell, Editor in Chief

Earlier this school year, as nearly 45,000 students applied to the University of Washington, many of them were a part of a similar occurrence: as they submitted their two general admission essays and clicked “next page,” they did not expect to see yet another application to the honors program.
When this happened to me, I was not prepared with the two additional essays that the honors program required, and I had no idea what exactly it was, so I skipped that portion and submitted what I had.
I quickly researched different honors programs in Washington state, and after learning what they provide their students, I regretted not applying to the UW honors program.
Honors programs and colleges provide students the perfect balance of rigor, prestige, and attention. Most honors programs in Washington state universities strive to teach their students in smaller class sizes with an emphasis on critical thinking and collaboration.
Students going to an honors program in college are making the wisest decision in terms of their educational value and price of college. The best professors are usually reserved for the honors students, and they get a more meaningful class experience with smaller class sizes. In terms of cost, honors students generally receive more merit scholarships than the general population of students because they are the highest ranked academically.
The benefits of honors programs are not limited to price and value, and they differ between every school. Some universities provide their students with separate housing and priority registration while others offer special study abroad programs and a separate advisory board.
Once I knew what I was missing, I began looking into Washington State University’s honors college. Some potential scholarships arose quickly, as well as the advantages of priority class registration and other special opportunities related to my major.
When I found out that I had been accepted to both the University of Washington and the Honors College at Washington State University, I had to evaluate my options. Although UW is a more prestigious school, its competitive nature may not have provided me with the attention or granted me the opportunities that WSU Honors would. That is why I will be living in Pullman, Washington in the fall.
To all of the aspiring college students, don’t forget about honors programs and colleges. Almost every university and college has one, and although it is a little extra time to spend in the application process, it may give you more possibilities and recognition than you would receive as a general student.