Heavy backpacks: weighing Patriots down

Tyra Christopherson, Staff Writer

By the end of the week, your arms are sore. Your shoulders ache. Your spine is compressed, taking a full two inches off of your previously impressive six-foot frame. All thoughts of weekend plans involve rest and recovery from your physically draining week of lugging around your 42.7 pound backpack. With your heavy backpack on, stairs become mountains, hallways become marathons, and walking across the Commons becomes akin to trekking through the Sahara Desert. Your body begging for relief, you would gladly cut down on the sea of paper in your backpack if it weren’t for your teachers’ words ringing in your ears: “This is very important. Make sure you don’t lose it.” Stuffed with all of your so-called “important” papers, your backpack protrudes just over a foot and a half from your back, making you resemble a turtle more than a human. An accumulation of papers is bad enough, but the addition of textbooks makes everything ten times worse. With your backpack already overflowing, they end up in your arms, transforming you from a student to a fatigued juggler. Just recounting the past week’s toils sends a wave of exhaustion over you, a reminder that you need to get your rest on the weekend. After all, it starts all over again on Monday.