Discover your potential by working at the Pacific Science Center

Sydney Dybing, Opinion Editor

Normally, seeing cockroaches while you’re on the job would be considered a bad thing – especially if you’re a typical high school student who might have a job at a fast food restaurant. But for me, cockroaches are an everyday experience, and one of the most fun parts about my job.
I work at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle as part of a program called Discovery Corps – a youth development program that focuses on putting students out on the museum floor to fulfill the Pacific Science Center’s mission of inspiring lifelong interest in science, math, and technology for visiting guests.
I’m nearly at the end of my time at the science center, and as of right now no more students from the Liberty High School area have signed up to be part of the program – and I want this to change.
Discovery Corps has been a lot more than just a job to me; it’s taught me how to interact with all different kinds of people, speak publicly comfortably, and ultimately become more confident with my knowledge and excited to pass it on to others.
Many people will get a job during high school – it’s a valuable learning experience and a part of growing up and getting ready for life once your education is complete – but not many people will have a job that teaches you as many valuable life skills and is as interesting and unique as working at the Pacific Science Center.
Dartmouth University’s Tuck School of Business corporate communication professor Paul Argenti said, “If you want to be a leader, you had better be able to communicate.”
More and more today, employers and colleges alike are looking for people with strong leadership skills because they believe they will serve them best – and they’re right.
While any job will teach you how to be an adult and manage your own schedule and money, few will require you to go outside of your comfort zone on a regular basis and present to people and carry out conversations with them like working at the Pacific Science Center does.
And just being a part of the program opens you up to apply yourself even more through the Discovery Corps internship network. Last summer, I spent two months doing research on the use of ultrasonic technology to detect and manipulate kidney stones at the University of Washington, and there are many more opportunities where that came from.
On my way out of the program now, I want to make sure that my fellow Patriots have the same opportunities to apply and interview for this incredible program just as I did.
Whether you truly love science or you enjoy talking to and teaching other people, you won’t regret trying to become a part of this program.
I promise, you will learn a lot, have a lot of fun, meet some absolutely amazing co-workers, and have something fantastic to put on your résumé. There are no downsides!