No limits

Sidney Ching, Staff Writer

I think it’s safe to assume that a large percent of the general population at Liberty has watched the movie Mean Girls, or has heard of it. Though it could just be a chick flick that girls (or boys) watch at slumber parties, it could also serve as a source that may be close to the truth in every high school, to some extent.

Though the high school community in Mean Girls is highly exaggerated, it may parallel our current Liberty community in some aspects. This brings me to my point: sometimes we fall into the natural act of placing others (and ourselves) in certain groups or demographics.

There’s a part in the movie that runs through multiple “groups” in school: “Cheerleaders”, “ROTC Guys”, “Varsity Jocks”, “Asian Nerds”, “Preps”, “Burnouts”, etc. I’m thankful to note that these groups aren’t easily distinguishable at Liberty.

Sometimes, we fall into the act of adjusting to the “group” we select for ourselves—we believe that we can’t step out of these boundaries, that we can’t try new things.

But our Liberty community is full of people that stray from these boundaries, and the more we deny these limits, the more we blur the lines between these separate demographics/cliques. The more we seize the right to explore without judgment, the closer the Liberty community becomes. Cool, be a cheerleader, and join Math Club while you’re at it. If you’re in band and have always wanted to join the football team, fine—play on the bleachers, and play on the field.

The same applies at school, and in our friend groups. When someone sits by us and our friends, let’s change the mindset from “she doesn’t even go here” to “oh look, a new friend!” If we work on being inclusive instead of exclusive, we may live up to the “We are one” motto’s expectations.

So, whenever you’re afraid to try something new, like joining a club or eating with someone else at lunch, just remember: the limit doesn’t exist.