Please filter yourselves

No, I’m not talking about instagram

Skylar Kylstra, Staff Writer

We have all experienced those moments: when someone in class raises their hand during a discussion or debate and their statement is so shockingly inaccurate that everyone in the room simultaneously cringes from second hand embarrassment.

Or at least, I’ve had quite a few those moments (second period Contemporary Issues, I am looking at you). Whether it was during APUSH junior year, freshman year English, or even an elective like contemporary issues there always seems to be that one guy who just blurts out the first thing that comes to mind without filtering or fact checking. Sometimes this can be funny, but other times it can just be downright offensive.

​These awkward and uncomfortable moments could be a nonissue if people would just fact check with credible sources and come to discussions and debates informed and qualified. This is especially important when trying to have an academic discussion about sensitive issues like abortion and racism, so people don’t end up getting hurt or offended.

​I am not saying that we should not talk about sensitive subjects in class. We need to have these discussions in order to have a well-rounded education and become competent citizens. But unnecessary and seriously inaccurate comments can take away from our class time educational discussions- perhaps someone had a really good comment and their momentum was stolen, or even worse: people get confused because they believe what is being said. If you have something of value to add to the discussion, by all means speak up. Also, that guy is probably a little bit embarrassed, so be understanding of your peers. But Patriots, I implore you to please save everyone the embarrassment, and before you blurt out something weirdly sexual or just flat out wrong, maybe just think about what you’re saying first.