FANDOMS Club brings a bit of magic to Mondays

Logan Allen, Staff Writer

I can still remember my first Sorting Feast of my first year. The lights were dimmed, and the floating candles warmed the room with an enchanting golden glow. The scowling sorting hat glared at me from its slouching perch on the stool, and I fidgeted my hands nervously with the ends of my black sleeves, hoping beyond hope that I would get sorted into the house of Gryffindor, the house of the courageous.

No, I’m not dreaming up of something that could have been if only magic and Hogwarts really existed. I honestly went to a Sorting Feast, which is something that I never thought I would be able to say. However, thanks to joining Harry Potter Club last year that experience was made possible.

This year, due to the sheer amount of fictional worlds people know and love, there was an executive decision made by the club leaders, members and the advisor, Julie Larsen, to smash the Harry Potter and the Doctor Who Clubs into one club, creating the FANDOMS Club.

The FANDOMS Club goal is to conquer as many fan bases as we can in one school year, meeting once a week on Mondays, for one hour, and to have the opportunity to meet with people who have similar interests, creating a comfortable and fun environment.

“It’s sort of my place to relax and have fun on Monday, because Mondays are always so hectic and stressful, so it’s really great to have a place where I can hang out with my friends for awhile and watch a show…Sometimes it can be hard to find time to just relax, so having it as an extracurricular activity makes it a lot easier,” Sophomore member Julia Spain said.

Each meeting, the fandom base changes. One meeting could be about ‘Star Wars’, and the next ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’. In the beginning of the year, all of the members voiced out which fandoms they wanted to get to, and the meeting slots were quickly filled up.

“That’s one of my favorite parts about FANDOMS Club. You get to re-watch the shows that you love, and other meetings, you’re introduced to a fandom that you might grow to love. It’s just a place to geek out and be around others who geek out along with you,” Sophomore Amanda Ross said.

FANDOMS Club holds a special place in quite a few hearts here at Liberty, and I think it might be because it brings a little bit of magic to Mondays for its members.