Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Meet new ASB board members! 

ASB does a lot of work behind the scenes to run Liberty events. Here are some of the students who will be helping to make the 2024-25 school year great!

Makai La Madrid, Executive Board President:

Q: How have your views of ASB changed after joining the Exec Board? 

A: When I first came to Liberty I didn’t think anything of ASB. I didn’t really know who controlled the school or who made the decisions. But after joining the club, I found that it not only means being in charge and having a lot of responsibility, but it also means creating a community and making sure other people feel welcomed at Liberty. It made me really encourage other people to join and to take part and understand what ASB really means.

Q: If there were no cost restrictions, what is your dream event?
A: A dream event would be, at the end of the school year when it’s a super hot day, we bring out  water slides and mini pools onto the field and we have a giant water balloon fight and water day. 

Alex Tran, Executive Board Vice President:

Q: What are some plans you have for next year? 

A: We saw that this year had much more positive results from the student body compared to the last few years I’ve been here. So we want to continue that and have more fun assemblies and dances. That’s one of our priorities, because that’s when the student body gets together. Overall, better communication with the student body so they all know what’s going on and better accessibility to all the events we’re going to do as well.

Q: Why did you want to join ASB?

A: I wanted to join because I wanted to get involved in the school. I want to be in the process that helps make things that happen at school. And people don’t necessarily know how many things we do or what exactly we do in ASB, but it truly is a lot and it is a really benefiting experience leading others and working with others.

Francis Menguita, Executive Board Male Senator:

Q: What is your favorite part of being in ASB?

A: I think it’s the field trips. We get to go on a lot of field trips and just learn how to be better people and be better leaders and I think it’s a good opportunity, not even just for school but in general, it’s a good thing.

A: Something special about this board is that we’re all really close friends, so I think assemblies next year are going to be a big part of what we do because of our chemistry and how we present things together with our friendship. I think it’s going to make it a really fun year.

Q: Why did you want to join ASB?

A:All a lot of my friends were in ASB and I was already helping out sophomore year so I figured why not? It seemed fun. 

Disha Naik, Executive Board Female Senator:

A: This year’s Exec board was really great at pioneering some of those new changes and starting to push those boundaries, but there are a lot of things we still can’t do just because they’re a little too far out of reach. But now that they took that first step for us, there’s a lot of things that I want to keep pushing for. We really wanted to have a glow in the dark assembly, so we’re working that out so we can do it next year. We’re really bringing creativity to the max next year.

A: The people, oh my gosh, it’s such a great community. We all get really close as a team because we’re working together and spending a lot of time together. So it’s really nice to build a bond with everyone, and a lot of times we’ll go out and do fun things outside of class, just because it’s really good to build that team and spend time with everyone. I love the people.

Ethan Su, Executive Board Treasurer:

A: I think the community and being able to help the community at the same time. I think a lot of people don’t realize how much ASB does and what goes on behind the scenes.

A: We plan to make assemblies trying to make assemblies as fun as possible, because I feel like this year our board has made assemblies a lot better than they have been in the past. And also as treasurer, I want to help the clubs that aren’t seen as much and try to do as much as possible for them. 

Q: Why did you want to join ASB?

A: One of my friends was in ASB and I thought it was really cool. And he was just telling me all about it and I decided to join it.

Neela Ortega, Executive Board Secretary:

Q: If there were no cost restrictions, what is your dream even?

A: My dream event would probably be a huge festival type of thing where younger grades can also come and have rides and carnival food. Or food trucks at sports games because I feel like I love the food options, but other schools do have more food options.

Q: How do you feel now that you’re on the board?
A: I know that it is a lot of work and sometimes it’s frustrating. It’s a lot sometimes, but I know I’ll be able to do it. It’s just a little scary.

A: My favorite thing about being in ASB is the projects and the people you get to work with on the projects. We’re usually working with someone and we’re always in a big group and you get a chance to meet new people and learn from them.

About the Contributor
Lily Phillips
Lily Phillips, Staff Writer
Lily Phillips is a sophomore at Liberty High School and a staff writer for the Patriot Press. In her free time, she enjoys running, crocheting and cooking.