Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Six new Liberty clubs approved: Full club breakdowns

Every Wednesday after school, the Best Buddies club meets in room 4210. The club was created to be a place where students with mental or physical disabilities connect with other students and participate in a variety of activities. The club started after senior Ella Kim realized the importance of giving additional ed students an opportunity to connect with other students, mainly  because their time for socialization in class is limited. “I’ve really been able to engage with the kids and figure out who they are,” said Ella Kim, a senior at Liberty. “They really do hold a special place in my heart.”

SASA (South Asian Student Association) meets every monday in room 4211. Led by co-presidents Jasleen Kindra and Nimra Sajeel, SASA’s main focus is on the celebration of South Asian culture. Meetings feature a variety of activities, such as heated debates, games, and crafts, and there are always snacks for participants to enjoy. The club also supports real world events such as the Israel Palestine conflict by creating posters and bracelets to show their support for the people affected. Club members also learn about and celebrate South Asian holidays such as Diwali, creating a great experience for people unfamiliar with South Asian culture. The SASA is free for anyone to join, and the board welcomes all new members who are excited to participate.

Liberty’s BSU (Black Student Union) club meets every Tuesday in portable 4 in order to spread ideas of diversity, appreciation, and togetherness in regard to African American culture. Created by senior Minot Elias, one of the club’s main goals is to start fundraisers and do service hours to help the black community. The club also works to inform Liberty students about African American history and culture, making big plans for Black History Month in February. The club is free for anyone to join, and is a great place to hang out with friends while also taking part in making positive change within the community. “I created BSU because I wanted to leave a part of myself behind at Liberty,” said Minot Elias, a senior at Liberty.

Every third Thursday of the month, Asian Culture Club meets in the commons or LRC room to eat snacks, learn about diverse Asian cultures, and to direct more focus on the importance of Asian culture at Liberty. The club was always meant to be a place to have fun with friends, but above all, understanding and appreciating diversity throughout the school. “I felt as though there was not enough Asian cultural appreciation coming to Liberty, which is why I created the club,” Hansan Fan, a junior at Liberty said. “I knew the importance of showing what Asian culture is all about.”

Being one of the more dynamic clubs at Liberty, Dance Club takes place every other week in the black box theater. The club was started just after the pandemic when senior Emilie Duran noticed that the school didn’t have a dance club, leading her to create the club in an effort to spread the importance of dance at Liberty. Although dance can seem like an intimidating activity to many, Duran assures that the club is meant to be a judgment-free environment where no experience is required. “We hope that our club can also be a good sanctuary for people who are stressed from school and want a bit of fun at the end of the week,” said Emilie Duran, a senior at Liberty.

Taking place every other Thursday in Mrs. Jeremica’s room, UNICEF (United Nations International Emergency Fund) Club raises funds for the UNICEF organization through fundraising. Sisters Peyton and Lily Warner, along with Tessa Kosar, all juniors and founders of the club, have continued to keep their goal of helping the community through spreading awareness of both global and local issues. More recently, UNICEF has focused on spreading awareness of groups who might be underappreciated, such as healthcare workers and school staff. During club meetings, members create posters, work on a fun project, and eat snacks. “Anyone can join,” said Peyton Warner, a junior at Liberty. “We do all kinds of advocacy and inclusivity stuff, but there’s also fun activities we plan throughout the year.”

About the Contributor
William Sweeney
William Sweeney, News Editor
William Sweeney is a junior at Liberty High School and one of the news editors for the Patriot Press. He enjoys spending time with family, playing chess, and playing video games.