Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Geology and Zoology: New science electives coming next year

Ever wanted to take a science class that isn’t biology, chemistry, or physics? Next year, new science electives will be introduced into the course guide, satisfying students’ niche interests in these subjects.

In the 2024-2025 school year, Liberty may offer a zoology course and a geology course. If enough students sign up for them, these classes will be confirmed as available to students.

Science teacher Eric Warlick will be teaching the new geology course. Unlike some of the current courses available, like astronomy, Warlick hopes this semester class will be accessible to all grade levels.

“Any grades could take it,” Warlick said. “It’s just any ninth graders that want to take it would have to come in having taken biology already.”

Warlick plans on surrounding the curriculum with environmental science concepts while adding some new content.

“We’re going to expand more on the geological parts of the class like earthquakes, volcanoes, plate boundaries, and other things like that,” Warlick said. “We’ll talk more about the fun parts of that and the catastrophes.”

Warlick hopes many students will sign up for the class, both past environmental science students and students new to taking science elective courses.

“The class should be really fun. Geology was my major in college, so I’m very excited to teach the class. It should be a subject where I can find plenty of content to teach,” Warlick said.

The new zoology course will be taught by current freshman biology teacher Lauren Grant.

“Zoology was always my favorite class from university,” Grant said. “I believe a lot of students are interested in learning more about why animals look and behave the way they do.”

Similar to the geology course, zoology plans to be a semester class available to tenth and twelfth graders, or anyone who has already completed biology. The class will cover many subjects regarding animals and biology-related topics.

“We will learn about animal evolution, physiology, and behavior. We will also study adaptations and learn how unique environments contributed to the development of species,” Grant said.

Like Warlick, Grant believes many would be interested in taking the course and learning about their favorite animals.

“Zoology is the study of all animals, including those that people tend to find fascinating like humans, cats and dogs, and marine animals,” Grant said.

Grant and Warlick hope students will want to sign up for the classes so they can be confirmed for next year.

“We can only run classes if enough people are interested and sign up,” Grant said. “So if you think it would be something fun to take, please request it!”

About the Contributor
Kathryn Langworthy
Kathryn Langworthy, Staff Writer
Kathryn Langworthy is a sophomore at Liberty High School and a staff writer for the Patriot Press. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, playing piano, and reorganizing her room.