Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Club membership reaches new summit

Astronomy, Dance, UNICEF for you; Make a Wish, Prism, and Math club too! The number of students participating in clubs has risen in the past year by a large margin.

What’s the reason for this abrupt abundance of applicants? According to ASB activity coordinator Michelle Munson, the main reason comes down to more student interest in becoming a part of the larger school community.

“Students are asking themselves, ‘How can we get more involved?’” Munson said.

Clubs also serve a role in students meeting new people and developing close friendships; being with the same group of people and doing the same kinds of activities that those people enjoy can be an effective way to befriend people they wouldn’t have met otherwise. For example, two complete strangers could have a shared interest in robotics, and this shared interest could turn into a close friendship in Robotics Club.

“I got to meet a lot of great people and hang out with them while we did activities,” sophomore Avery Tinugini, a member of Students for Change Club, said.

It’s not just new friendships that can form, however. Clubs are also a place that enhance existing friendships.

“I wanted to try out some clubs, like Students for Change, with my friends,” Tinugini said.

Additionally, joining a club–or better yet, starting one–can show your interests and values, including leadership and community involvement, on a high school resume.

“It shows colleges ‘I did this; look how great I am’,” Munson said.

There are few main issues with the addition of clubs at our school; one of them is that there would need to be more advisors.

“The students want these clubs, and if I have to say no because there aren’t any advisors to supervise them, that would make me sad,” Munson said.

Because there are few downsides to the increasing number of clubs and their participants, Liberty has an environment where clubs can spring forth without much involvement from the school administration.

“Because I have staff that I can trust, I don’t have to be as hands-on with the clubs as another school might have to be,” Munson said.

One side effect of the increase in club popularity is the inflation of school spirit.

“Kids are proud of what they’re a part of,” Munson said. “If they’re proud of what they’re a part of, and they find success in it, then they are going to have more pride.”

Clubs have always been an integral part of both Liberty culture and high school culture in general. With their growing popularity, it’s clear they aren’t going anywhere, and the general consensus from students and staff alike is positive toward this fact.

“I like that there are more clubs at Liberty, even if it is more for me to manage,” Munson said.

About the Contributor
Jonas Padilha
Jonas Padilha, News Editor
Jonas Padilha is a junior at Liberty High School. He is one of the News editors for the Patriot Press. In his free time, he enjoys swimming, playing the guitar, and being dumb with his friends.