Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Home Stage Advantage

“The skirt is short, the hair is tight, the anxiety is high, we’re ready to go!” said sophomore drama student Audrey Issacs moments before going onstage at a performing arts event in late September.

This anxiety will be magnified as students, such as Issacs, perform before not only an audience but a board of adjudicators when Liberty hosts the International Thespian Society’s Thespy competition later this year.

On January 20, 2024, the Northwest region of the Washington State chapter of the International Thespian Society will be hosting its annual Thespy competition at Liberty High School. 

“[Thespys] would be the equivalent of our state competition,” said Dr. Micheal Butterworth, Liberty’s Drama Director. “There’s several categories students compete in, such as monologues, duo scenes, performance categories, and technical categories like stage management and set design.” 

Alex Vovakes, vice-president of Liberty’s Thespian Troupe and others explained the basis for thespians: it provides another level of elevation to the drama program and allows students to be involved in more theater events outside of the walls of Liberty. This includes competitions such as Thespys.

“Thespians is like the Honors Society for theater kids,” said Vovakes

Months before competition begins, performing arts students across the state are already starting to prepare by debating category and piece choices, all in anticipation for January 20.

“It is exciting to have Thespys here because it just elevates our program and gives our school exposure,” said Butterworth.

The day of the competition students will arrive at their schools as early as five in the morning before traveling to Liberty. Next, students will attend an opening ceremony before spreading out across the school to present their pieces before a panel. The competition will take up twelve classrooms, including the Performing Arts Center (PAC). 

“There’s usually four or five rounds, and you rotate between classrooms going to whatever room you’re performing in,” said Charlie Newton, Co-Publicity Officer for Liberty’s Thespian troupe. “Or, if you’re not performing, you can go sit in and watch your friends perform.”

Tensions will be high for performing arts students across the region as January inches closer. This year, however, with the comfort of home on their side, the Patriots are more prepared than ever.

“I’m so excited. It’s going to be nice, because I’ve never actually competed before,” said Jocelyn Hood, Thespian Co-historian and Junior at Liberty. “So I’m going to feel more comfortable performing and competing in a space that I’m familiar with.”

About the Contributor
Isabella Rahlfs
Isabella Rahlfs, Staff Writer
Isabella Rahlfs is a sophomore and a staff writer on the Patriot Press. She is a stage manager and a part of MUN. In her free time she spends too much time on homework, cooks random things she finds on instagram and works on whatever random project she's over complicating.