AP vs. Running Start: Which is the true running start?

Kruthi Duraisamy, Staff Writer

In recent years, the number of students taking Running Start at Liberty has risen, and with it, raises the question: Are advanced classes truly beneficial for students? And if they are, should students choose AP classes or Running Start classes? 

The benefits of AP classes (preparation for college classes, possible college credit, and an advantage in college admissions) has been closely researched, but how well do they truly hold up? 

When looking at how prepared AP classes get you for college, the results are mixed. AP classes are meant to mimic college courses, since they give high-schoolers a chance at retrieving college credit for a fraction of the pricegiven you pass the overwhelming test that occurs every May. While some research shows that high schoolers who take AP tend to do better in college, that same research fails to take into consideration the academic standards of the students themselves, and the pressure put onto them. 

It may not be AP classes that lead to high-performing students, but high-performing students who take AP classes. 

“A benefit of AP classes for students that want to challenge themselves is that they have a well-thought-out and high-level curriculum,” Principal Andrew Brownson said. “As a former AP Lang teacher, I’m a bit biased there, but the content is excellent and gives students a clear idea of what the skills are, which is extremely valuable for kids.” 

A clearer benefit of AP classes is the college credits given for every passed test. This depends on the specific school people apply to, though, since many schools (especially more elite schools) do not give out credits for even the highest score. Overall, most colleges do give out credits in return for passing an AP test (score of 3 or higher), which can save students much time and tuition on classes they may not be interested in taking in college, or aid students who want to graduate at a faster pace than others. 

That said, students should be careful when selecting future AP classes, and make sure they can balance their classes with a healthy lifestyle outside of studying. AP Language and Composition teacher Kris Daughters believes that if students overload on classes, with hopes of stockpiling as many credits as possible, they run the risk of overworking themselves and potentially failing the end-all-be-all AP test. 

“The reality is that if you’re going to take an AP class, and you don’t do well in it, the potential is for a college to look at that in a negative light instead of a positive light,” College and Career Specialist Betty Wachtman said. “If you are sure you’re going to do well in the class, that you’re going to apply yourself and study hard, then taking an AP may work for you.” 

Most importantly, AP classes do give many high-school students a bigger advantage in college admissions. The rigor of the class and a student’s overall grade has a large impact on the admissions process. Due to AP classes having greater rigor, they have a higher weighted GPA scale, from 0-5.00 rather than 0-4.00. This is looked upon favorably by admission officers, meaning that students aiming to get into more elite schools might consider looking into a few of these classes in areas of interest to them. 

Liberty High School itself does not use a weighted GPA scale, but colleges will often calculate a student’s grade using their own scale for AP classes and Running Start. These grading scales differ from school to school, meaning that while one school may weigh an A in an AP class as a 5.00 out of 4.00, another may scale it as a 4.7. This is the same for Running Start, as the classes are weighted heavier than normal classes in a high school, but the specific scale for these classes differs in colleges. 

The only way to truly know how these grades are weighted for both Running Start and AP classes is to email each college advisor for that specific college. This can lead to students having huge advantages in admissions, as students can tailor their classes to what their dream college desires.

“Send an email to the college recruiter for our area and say ‘hey, which would you prefer to see’?” Wachtman said. “These are the guys who are also going to review your college application. If they tell you that they prefer Running Start classes, then you listen to what they’re saying. It’s just that simple.” 

On the other hand, Running Start is also an option many Patriots have taken, sometimes even alongside AP classes. 

The major benefits of Running Start are similar to AP classes. These classes offer a rigorous course to students while also allowing students to skip a year or two at college, which saves thousands on tuition–similar to the benefits of taking and passing many AP exams.

“Once students fulfill their high school graduation credit requirements, they can take any classes they want in Running Start, and the school district is paying for them. With two years of credits, you can graduate with a paid associate’s degree. That’s several thousands worth of credits,” Wachtman said. 

The ability to gain credits from Running Start may be a little misleading, though. Many courses available through Running Start may not be at a college a student is aiming for after high school. Some of these credits may not be transferable to states outside Washington either, meaning lots of planning is required in order to make sure you are confident with your choice.

Other major drawbacks to Running Start include the difficulty for students as it puts a higher level of independence on them, and it strips teenagers of the social network they once were engaged in. But both issues can differ from person to person. 

“I’ve found that Running Start is fabulous for kids that aren’t engaged in the school community or culture and are looking for maybe a more adult or independent type of program,” Brownson said.  “For students that still want that high school experience, AP offers a nice bridge where they can still earn credit and have that high-level course but still have the high school experience.”

Sources:

“Are AP Students More Likely to Graduate from College on Time”