Students express disinterest in driver’s ed

Addison Milne, Photography Editor

Getting one’s driver’s license is a time that many teenagers dream of. The small, plastic card is a piece of independence and freedom that many strive for– or, used to strive for. 

Recent surveys show a drop in teen drivers and teen motivation to learn to drive.

The Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) requires students under the age of 18 to complete the drivers education course and complete over 50 hours of drive time in addition to the written drivers test and the drivers test. 

It’s the drivers education classes. They are time consuming, which means I have less time for homework and other activities. That can be deterring for people who want to get their license,”  freshman Gabby Hemmen said.

Alongside the time it takes to complete courses, some don’t feel the need to drive themselves around

Some people don’t have to learn to drive because their older siblings can drive them around. They already have that independence from their parents,” sophomore Frankie McFadden said. 

Other students aren’t as fortunate to have the option of others to drive them, meaning they are required to get their license if they want freedom.

“When I was learning to drive, I faced pressure from my mom. She would not drive me anywhere anymore, so I had to get my license,” senior Mikaiah Reilly said.

Another contributor to the lack in teen motivation to drive is the application of new technology. Every teen talks about the desire to grow up so they can gain freedom from their parents, and driving allows them to go see their friends and do activities. Nowadays, talking to friends is easily done by furiously tapping on a phone screen with your thumbs. 

With improvements in communication along with easier modes of transportation, teenagers have found driving less appealing, and less beneficial. 

“Driving can be stressful, and it is not always a nice experience,” McFadden said.