Online school vs. in-person school: the reality of learning

Tabitha Peacock, Spotlight Editor

Waking up late, attending class in your pajamas, not having to travel anywhere—what’s not to like? After attending school online for over a year now, the students and staff at Liberty have had their fair share of ups and downs. But the question is, have students truly learned as much as they did when they were in person?

Last year, students and staff were all stoked when their two-week break turned into a six-month ordeal. Less homework, minimal meetings, and a shortened school year—who was complaining?

“Personally, I’ve learned less online compared to in-person school,” junior Amelia Nored said. “I feel less of an obligation to work hard when I am at home and know no one is watching me and holding me accountable for doing my work.”

Without the prying eyes of teachers sweeping the room, getting work done is a lot more relaxed. Still, others feel differently than Nored.

“It’s much easier to just pass classes without trying,” an anonymous senior said. “Online has been easier, but makes in-person harder since no student has really learned anything.” 

Though the material that has been taught online is similar to what students would be learning in-person, many would argue that it’s more difficult to retain the information.

“With online school, it is so much easier to get distracted by my surroundings, whether it be my family walking around the house, my phone, pets, or other things,” Nored said.

While most students feel they’ve learned less during online school compared to in-person school, they won’t have to deal with that for too much longer. With hybrid learning starting, online school has been reduced to two days a week for students that choose to attend in person. Keep a lookout at Liberty’s E-news and website for any upcoming changes to scheduling.