Boy Scouts of Liberty: setting a daily example

Nick Vanni, Beyond Liberty Editor

Hiking, leadership training, rafting, and video games.
These things may seem completely unrelated to each other, but as it turns out, they can all be brought back to one thing: Boy Scouts. They are just a few of the many events that seven freshman Boy Scouts from local Troop 498 do on the daily.
Scouts in the troop can have fun with many events throughout the year across the Puget Sound region, while all the time learning good deeds and essential life skills.
“Scouting influences me because I think more of what effects my actions have,” freshman
Spencer Reddekopp said at a recent troop meeting: “If I was not going to throw something away, Scouting has taught me to think again and make the right choice.”
But scouting is more than just making the right choice to these freshmen. Being a true scout–following the Scout Law, Oath, Motto, and Slogan throughout one’s time as a scout–is a real commitment, requiring hard work and dedication to rank up to the rank of Eagle–not an easy task. Those wanting to get the prestigious honor will need to have passed through six ranks during their Scouting career, earning a minimum of 21 merit badges along the way, gaining independence and important life skills with every badge, rank, and meeting.

“We’re teaching them a bunch of life skills along the way, teaching them skills and then enabling them to use these skills in the real world,” said Troop 498 Scoutmaster Keith Bassett in an interview. “Those things, combined with our citizenship program, allow these young men (and soon young women) to go out into society and become citizen leaders in our country, and to become the next generation of lawyers, politicians, engineers, and teachers.”
At Scouting’s core, however, is friendship. Scouting unites people of all ethnicities, classes, and religion, bringing them all together to benefit the world. To freshman Tate Hayden, this can mean a lot.
“I thought Scouting would be a great life experience that would help me prepare for my future, and it’s really lived up to my hopes. It’s pushed me out of my comfort zone, allowing me to meet people who I never would’ve known in my everyday life through sports, or even classes,” Hayden said.
Scouting may take a lot of commitment, but it turns out to be worth it in the end. By making lifelong friends, developing important life skills, and preparing scouts for the future, Boy Scouts (soon to be accepting girls as well) is setting up some freshmen for the future.