Rethinking the midday senior waiver dilemma

Tatum Lindquist, Editor in Chief

Many classes at Liberty are reserved solely for seniors: AP Gov, AP Lit, AP Psych, Civics, Forensics. And who could forget the much sought after senior waiver?
But much to seniors’ dismay, the Issaquah School District is pushing out midday senior waivers, striving for free periods solely at the end or beginning of the day. The idea behind this policy is that it will decrease student loitering around campus during free periods as well as allow admin to design a course schedule that ensures academic courses are available when all students are on campus.
But senior Drew Giulini, one of the only seniors to have waiver during third period, enjoys his schedule.
“It’s really convenient because it means I could take both lunches if I wanted to, and it also allows for more flexibility when I need to meet with teachers during their lunch off,” Giulini said.
Senior Emma Ream agrees that waivers in the middle of the day have their benefits.
“It’s worked out well for a lot of people in the past. For former senior costume designer Maddie Gholston, she was able to stay and work on costumes for the spring musical during her third period waiver last year,” Ream said.
But Ream recognizes that waivers during the day are only convenient if seniors are allowed on campus. Otherwise, where are seniors supposed to go for only ninety minutes?
“If you’re like me and you don’t have your driver’s license yet, it’s better to have [waiver] in the middle of the day,” Giulini said. “I know a lot of kids say it’s better to have it fourth period because then you can leave, but I can’t do that. I just have to wait around for the bus.”
So, while it may appear inconvenient for waivers to take place in the middle of the day because of the awkward break, they hold the potential to be just as (if not more) suitable for students who either can’t or don’t wish to leave campus.