Opportunity for the Liberty Singers

Margaret Baumgartner, Sports Editor

“It was an opportunity of a lifetime,” choir director Robin Wood said. “It was amazing, being on the main stage. It’s something that you don’t often get a chance to do.”

Wood is referring to the Liberty Singers getting the chance to sing a newly recovered, never before performed piece, on October 14 of this year at Benaroya Hall in Seattle.Wood got this opportunity through her friend, Adam Stern, who is the conductor of the Sammamish Symphony Orchestra this is a group of adults based in Sammamish.

The piece was originally going to be performed by a smaller group of singers, called Cantare, but Stern decided that the Symphony over-powered the small group. Knowing that he Liberty Singers were a big group he asked Wood to join the performance.

“The Hall is where the Seattle Symphony performs. It was amazing to be able to perform in the same place as those artists,” senior Janae Skinner said.

The piece, ‘Missa pro defunctis solennis’, was written in the 1800’s by Alois Bohuslav Storch. It was recently discovered by a family member of the composer who also performed at the event. The piece had never been performed before and the Liberty Singers were the first to ever perform it.

“Being able to sing was fantastic, and I feel very blessed to have been part of it,” junior Parker Coleman said.“It really was an amazing experience.”

The music had 8 movements and was a total of 54 pages. The singers had to work on it over summer vacation, and rehearsed together 14 times before performing it in front of a very large crowd.

“It was a bit of a challenge having to listen to a computer-made recording and learn the piece that way,” sophomore Kyler Granados said. “It’s one thing to perform in front of your friends and family, but it’s another thing to actually get out there and be involved with the music scene in Washington.”

“The most difficult movements were the most fun for them to do, but in the end they did such a good job. Probably because this choir works as a family, they are very special,” Wood said. “This opportunity was a rare one.”