A pledge for your graduation is a pledge for your future

Macee Vadney, Assistant News Editor

Every year, 1.2 million students drop out of high school in the United States alone.

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Tyler Lockett is striving to change that.

“I think it’s important for students to earn a high school diploma because it gives you an advantage out in life,” Lockett said in his advertisement video.

Lockett and his sponsors, Aquafina and NFL, have initiated a movement giving students the opportunity to pledge for their future. They have created a website where students can input their reason for graduating high school.

“Lockett believes without a high school diploma he wouldn’t have had the opportunities he has had for success,” ASB teacher Michelle Munson said.

This opportunity is only available to a limited list of schools, chosen specifically by Lockett himself. There is a pledge available for students and for parents.

In the student pledge, kids answer why it is important that they graduate high school. The rule is that the student must be enrolled in one of the participating schools to complete the pledge.

“It’s powerful for students to know the why behind anything they do, including graduating,” Munson said. “Pledging to graduate from high school may seem silly, but it’s another reminder as to why you are working so hard in school every day.”

“The school with the highest percentage of pledges will earn 5,000 dollars and a visit from me,” Lockett said.

The way for Liberty to win is for Patriots to remind themselves why they’re at school every day. Don’t pledge to win, but pledge for your graduation.

The pledge is still available on the Lockett Pledge Website. Identify as a student, put the individual reason that graduation is important, give a small amount of personal information and then press submit; you’ve pledged for your graduation.