Martin intends on continuing to nurture Liberty’s unique culture as principal

Hannah Norton, News Editor

This school year marks principal Sean Martin’s sixth year as a Liberty administrator. For the five years prior, Martin worked as assistant principal, leading alongside previous principal Josh Almy for four years. This year, as principal, Martin is working to extend current and past policies and plans, maintain a positive culture at Liberty, and increase student recognition.
“One thing I want to do is find new ways to recognize students for a wide variety of accomplishments, interests, and involvements. It’s important to not only celebrate school sports and clubs, but other, outside things that students are involved in that are more long term or affect the community,” Martin said. “I want to make it just a part of what we do–how we know and celebrate each other and what we have done.”
Additionally, in order to allow students to be more successful and graduate on time, Martin is working to provide students with additional credit retrieval opportunities as the required credit levels increase. Through Almy, as well as from cooperation with the Issaquah School District, a credit retrieval program was formed, giving students supplementary ways to gain credits for classes.
“One of the concerns we had with raised credit requirements was whether this would affect our students’ opportunities to graduate if they had a period of struggle or courses that were difficult for them and needed additional support,” Martin said. “So, I am trying to offer them as many different opportunities as I can, from online schooling, to WaNic, to Running Start, to classes after school.”
Although Martin is working in a different position than he has in previous years, Liberty’s staff has found that he has a similar approach to administration to that of Almy, allowing for what appears to be an incredibly smooth transition between principals.
“Both of them really care about the students a great deal, and care about maintaining the staff community,” English teacher Henry Level said. “I really feel that as a staff member, my voice has been well respected and heard by both of them, and I know they both have a similar vision for students.”
Martin feels that his previous experience as a Liberty administrator has allowed him to connect with many families in Liberty’s surrounding community.
“I think we are on a very positive track as a school, and I’m excited to see how we continue to grow, not only literally in size, but also how we grow and develop as a school, with new programs and ideas, throughout my years here at Liberty,” Martin said.