AHA: one beat at a time

Sydney Willoughby, Staff Writer

One donation changes lives.
The purpose of the American Heart Association is to spread awareness and raise money for those who are struggling with a heart disease. For the past four years, Liberty High School has been able to support the American Heart Association by selling t-shirts and holding a “Red Out” basketball Quad-Night.
“The Liberty Community has always been affected by Heart Disease, but it’s our task to spread the word and make sure people are aware of the danger that it poses,” junior Laurie Willoughby said.
Heart disease is prevalent in the United States as it impacts 1 in 3 women. This is a life changing illness that can affect many lives. In comparison, cancer affects 1 in 4 women. Many people do not realize that Heart Disease is the number one leading cause of death in the United States.
“Heart disease has really hit close to home. Liberty has opened the door to help support those going through such a hard time. This connects us in some way,” said sophomore Marissa Mills. “During the AHA fund-raising, I feel like the Liberty community becomes one big family in support of such a great cause.”
Over the past four years, the student body has been able to donate $25,000 to AHA. This money was directly used for the benefit of those affected by heart disease; in the hope of finding a cure and even supplying a patient with a pace maker.
“AHA has become such a large part of our culture here at Liberty and we find the need to continue our support for such an incredible community,” junior David Rand said.