Solving the mystery of starting school clubs

Sydney Willoughby, Staff Writer

Interested in starting a club, but don’t know how? The mystery is finally solved.
While many students at Liberty don’t quite know how to start a club, it’s a simple three step process.
The requirements include, finding six to ten other students interested in participating in the club as well as a trusted advisor. After the first step, paperwork must be completed by the students and then collected by ASB Advisor Michelle Munson. The club can begin meeting after school, where an executive board member will routinely visit to verify that minutes are being taken, the club is running efficiently and that the member count is being sustained.
“We take it in front of the House of Representatives to vote that club in, to which that point the club becomes a sanctioned club. So there are three steps to becoming a standing club, here at Liberty,” Munson said.
The founding of the Badminton club has been the most recent in club expansion at Liberty. About 15-20 people meet Wednesday mornings to further practice their badminton skills.
“The hardest part of creating a club was finding people who were interested. This year, attendance and interest in badminton club has grown drastically. By creating a club, this has made me have the ability to grow my organization skills as well as my social accolades,” the creator of the club, Kacey Ton said.
Leadership and organization are a large factor in the efficiently of clubs. Clubs give students the opportunity to expand their own characteristics of self-determination and responsibility. Besides devotion and following the mandatory requirements, clubs are student-driven.
“There aren’t adults who are going to do it for them. They have to take initiative and be self-motivated. They have to track down the paperwork, they have to complete the paperwork, they have to turn in the paperwork,” Munson said.
Furthermore, clubs have given students the prospect to find their own niche. Many students look toward clubs to find their passion and overall to have a positive outlook. Clubs have also given students the ability to grow their relationships with advisors and other students.
“By providing the space for kids and advisors to chaperone and supervise them still as a part of the club, it helps them to connect to Liberty and ultimately makes the community even stronger,” Munson said.
The mystery of clubs has finally been solved, so now it’s your turn to either join or start your own and make your mark on our community.