B.L.U.E. heart project inspires

Ellie Hohensinner, News Editor

On November 12, 2013, sixteen year old Teagan McGinnis was driving to school like any other day. On his way to Kentridge High School, a car illegally pulled out and spun him directly into oncoming traffic. Although he was resuscitated at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, he was never able to regain consciousness and passed away that day.

As his friends and family carry the memory of Teagan with them, they remember his love for soccer, his sense of humor, and the desire he held to help others and give back to his community.

“He was always just trying to make someone else’s day better than it was to begin with,” senior and family friend Jacob Winter said.

Because of his will and desire to help others, his mother, Laura McGinnis, created what is known as the “B.L.U.E. Heart Project” in memory of her son.

B.L.U.E. means two things in the case of the B.L.U.E. Heart Project. As an addition to the color of his eyes, it also spells out an acronym that describes how Teagan lived his life:

Be relational, Love well, Understand that you are here for a purpose, and Enrich others’ lives. These are also the focal points behind the B.L.U.E. Heart Project.

The B.L.U.E. Heart Project is a challenge to others in the community to look outside themselves, become less selfish, and positively impact the lives of people. People do not have to know the person or be really familiar with an organization to make a difference in their community.

To participate in the B.L.U.E. Heart Project, one must choose a volunteer project to do for an entire year. The project could be as simple as volunteering at a local food bank once a week or helping at a homeless shelter.

Then, he or she records themselves announcing the project, and challenges five friends to create their own B.L.U.E. Heart Projects. As well as holding people accountable for their community service project, the program creators hope that it will spread Teagan’s legacy and inspire others to serve their community.

On the one year anniversary of Teagan’s death there was a balloon release at the scene of the accident. The display of the balloons was covered by a local news station.

“I’d say the main purpose of the B.L.U.E. Heart Project is to do something nice for someone else, just because you want to make their day. It also spreads the idea that you don’t need a reason to help someone else or make their day. It is a great way for Teag to be remembered,” Winter said.

If people would like to become involved with or participate in the B.L.U.E. Heart Project and help extend Teagan’s legacy, visit the website at www.blueheartproject.com.