GSA club comes to Liberty

Skylar Kylstra, Senior Writer

Sophomores Logan Allan and Kenadi Browne have started the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) club at Liberty this year in the hopes of fostering acceptance for LGBT youth at Liberty.

“I want to create a safe place for people of all gender identities and sexual orientations to express themselves and be open about who they are,” Browne said.

Every Wednesday after school from 3:40 to 4:40 GSA members meet in Room 5136. Some of the proposed club activities are a board game day, movie night, and t-shirt tie-dyeing day. The GSA also intends to have serious discussion days about topics concerning LGBT youth.

“I know a lot of people might think the Gay-Straight Alliance is only targeted towards LGBT youth, but anybody can join,” Browne said.

Because research indicates that the presence of a GSA in a high school is associated with greater safety for students, Browne and Allan are hopeful for the positive outcomes that the GSA at Liberty could bring. In fact, GSAs are linked to fewer student reports of harassment and victimization due to sexual orientation, and better educational health outcomes. While there have not been many recent cases of harassment at Liberty, the GSA could help LGBT youth at Liberty feel more safe and secure.

In addition, the club aims to reinforce acceptance, positive relationships, and educate students and teachers.

“The GSA will show students and teachers that there are teens at our school that are questioning and discovering their sexual preferences and gender identities, and it will help show people that someone’s sexuality and/or gender identity doesn’t change who they are,” Allan said.