Liberty staff members moving on

Claire Good, News Editor

On May 14th, Liberty High School’s assistant principal Donna Hood accepted a position as principal at Skyline High School, starting next year.

After four years of working at Liberty, it took Hood “many sleepless nights” to make her decision. However, the opportunities to grow in her professional career and to challenge herself personally were what pushed her to take the job.

“In my mind, I knew I wouldn’t retire as an assistant principal, so when the opportunity came up, I had to ask myself—am I ready? And the answer is yes; I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.”

Hood will dearly miss the staff and students at Liberty, and she’s very thankful to her fellow staff members for their support and advice, who she feels were instrumental in her own development as an educator.

“It’s hard to leave good people. But what’s nice is that having come to Liberty, I was reminded that there are really good people everywhere—and I know that where I go, I will find good people too.”

Liberty’s current Athletic Director and staff member of eighteen years, Steve Porter, will be taking a few years off from his career in order to focus on raising his young son and daughter.

Porter’s farewell legacy at Liberty includes having been an athletic director, a P.E. teacher, an assistant football coach, and a coach of both wrestling and track.

Although Porter is looking forward to his role as a stay-at-home father, he will miss the students at Liberty, whom he has watched mature and succeed over his many years as a staff member. His relationships with fellow staff will also be missed. Porter plans to occasionally visit Liberty over the next few years.

Hood and Porter have worked at Liberty for a combined total of 22 years. They will be remembered at Liberty for their impeccable service and for the unique places they held among the ranks of Liberty staff.