Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Are you smarter than your teachers?

Six Liberty teachers were given a short test made up of standardized SAT questions opposite to the subject that they teach in hopes of giving them insight into the material the average high school student is learning in addition to coursework they teach.

Duggan: 5/10

Teaches: Precalculus and Algebra 1

Test taken: English test

“Without school, you would all still learn to read, but would you have an understanding of math? No. Life is much bigger than a math class. I don’t need you to be great at math because you could be anything you want.”

Flowers: 7/10

Teaches: AP Calculus AB and Geometry 

Test taken: Math test

“Teaching Calculus, it’s pretty niche. English can apply to every part of your life though. Kids in English class aren’t asking “when am I going to use this”, whereas I hear that all the time.”

Schneider: 10/10

Teaches: AP Chemistry and Physics 

Test Taken: English

“There is value in all subjects. All of them contribute to us as well-rounded citizens of the world. But science is by far the coolest.”

Level: 1/9

Teaches: Creative writing and Sophomore Honors English 

Test Taken: Math

“Reading is the most important thing. If you are an adept reader you are capable of succeeding in every subject. Except maybe math.”

Fannon: 2/9

Teaches: AP Human Geography, World History, and Sociology 

Test Taken: Math

“Standardized tests are an important gauge, but it definitely should not be the end all be all. It’s a snapshot, it’s not necessarily something that you should hold on to forever.”

Talley:  2/9

Teaches: Freshmen world history and United States history. 

Test taken: Math

“Some of us teachers get blinded by the fact that all we are focusing on is our subject and we forget students not only have other classes but lives outside of class.”

The consensus from our Liberty teachers is that high school academics outside of their subject area is far more complex than they ever remembered it being. Whether it is because many of our participants hadn’t taken a math or English class in 20+ years, or that many of the concepts learned by students in highschool aren’t universally necessary outside of the academic world, you can rest assured that your highschool test scores do not define your future success. To check out the questions these teachers answered or to test your own knowledge, scan the QR code to the right. 

About the Contributor
Amelia Matin
Amelia Matin, Staff Writer
Amelia Matin is a Junior at Liberty High School and a Staff Writer for the Patriot Press. She is the treasurer of Liberty Model United Nations and a Patriot Crew leader. In her free time, she can be found volunteering at and organizing city events, enthusiastically ranting about the most recent political event, listening to depressing pop music, and hanging out with friends.