Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Stepping up: student-run tap class sets the beat for success

Tap dancing is a talent held by few, but two Liberty students, Andrew Browne (12) and Mia Williamson (12), are working to change that by offering free, no-experience-required tap classes once a week. 

“We’re teaching these classes because our spring musical ‘Anything Goes’ is going to have tap in it. We want to make sure the ensemble knows the basics to prepare them for both auditions and the musical,” Williamson said.

The pair have been conducting these tap classes for several weeks, attracting a growing number of participants, with approximately a dozen students attending each session. Furthermore, most of these students are entirely new to tap, making the task of teaching them all the more challenging and rewarding for the teachers.

“We have a couple of people that have taken tap lessons before, but for most, this is their first time doing tap,” Williamson said.

Due to the influx of newcomers, they are methodically guiding the lessons, one step at a time.

“We’re teaching a couple of basic steps, and as people are getting better and better, we will introduce some combinations that are short and easy to learn,” Browne said.

The class adheres to an engaging “watch and learn” format, where participants have ample opportunities to ask questions and seek guidance.

“Right now, in a class, we’ll start in the center, and Andrew and I will teach a step. We’ll do it a few times, explain some tips, and then we’ll have people try it by themselves while we walk around and give corrections,” Williamson said.

The goal isn’t just to introduce tap dancing but to nurture the students’ skills so they can confidently participate in the upcoming musical. They understand that the choreography for ‘Anything Goes’ needs to be tailored to the ensemble’s abilities. Therefore, they are committed to getting their fellow students as proficient as possible in tap dancing while remaining flexible and accommodating of varying skill levels.

“The choreography for the musical will be at the level of the ensemble. We’re going to try to get them as high as we can, which is why we’re doing these tap classes,” Williamson said.

The classes are a testament to their dedication, ensuring that everyone, regardless of prior experience, can step into the world of tap dancing. By the time the curtain rises on ‘Anything Goes,’ these Liberty students will be ready to dazzle the audience with their newfound skills.

About the Contributor
Mirabelle Williams
Mirabelle Williams, Entertainment Editor
Mirabelle Williams is a senior at Liberty High School and the entertainment editor for the Patriot Press. In her free time, she enjoys competitive cheerleading, reading, and writing.