Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

Forum for student expression since 1977

The Patriot Press

UPDATES

School Delayed in response to COVID-19 until April 24

Spring Sports seasons delayed

AP Tests have moved online

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Hoco-Pocus

Behind the glittering dresses, creative Homecoming proposals, and carefully curated Instagram posts, there’s a dedicated group of ASB students working tirelessly to create a dance that lives up to the dreams of Liberty’s student body. 

School dances hold a special place in the hearts of most students, as they are often some of the most eagerly anticipated events of the entire year. Some students spend weeks or even months selecting the perfect outfit, ensuring that they look and feel their best on the big night. But where does all the magic of homecoming come from?   

Liberty’s Associated Student Body, better known as ASB, works tirelessly all year long to keep Liberty engaged and connected. However, ASB’s responsibilities don’t only include decorating the gym, coming up with themes, and passing out shirts at lunch. 

“The week leading up to Homecoming weekend is a lot of late nights. We will be at the school till about ten to midnight all week, just making sure everything is perfect,” Sophia Mostrom (11) said. 

Arguably, the most important part of homecoming week is the theme. This crucial decision, central to the entire spirit of the event, is not made carelessly. Instead, the dedicated ASB members invest weeks of thoughtful consideration, brainstorming, and deliberation to meticulously choose the theme that will set the stage for a week of festivities and celebration.

“More goes into the theme than people think. We have to come up with something that is unique, inclusive, and has the potential for cool sub-themes. It’s a lot of pressure!” Executive Vice President Rilee Pham (12) said. 

The long-awaited theme of “Liberty looks back” was released on September 24th, which left students wondering how this unique theme would fit the expected criteria of a Liberty dance.

“I really like the idea of this theme. I love that our ASB went with something unique. It makes us really stand out from other schools,” Mirabelle Williams (12) said. 

However, initial reactions to the theme may not have been unanimously positive. Some students may have felt a bit disappointed at first glance.

“When I first heard the theme, I was a little disappointed, but once I heard the sub-themes, I started to see the vision. I think it’s going to be fun to have to work a little harder to fit the spirit days during the week!” Giovanna Casteneda (12) said.

In addition to unveiling the carefully chosen theme, ASB has excitedly shared their plans to introduce an array of games and activities specially curated to enhance the experience during the school dance. These planned additions promise to elevate the enjoyment and engagement of all students, turning the dance into an unforgettable event that goes beyond just a mere celebration of the chosen theme. 

“I’m usually bored out of my mind during the school dances, so having something to do when I’m tired of dancing will be epic,” Williams said.  

The games predicted to be at the dance include giant Jenga, life-size chess, and many other options. Students can expect to find these activities in the upper gym, adjacent to the cafeteria.

Homecoming is more than just a school dance; it’s a celebration of school spirit, creativity, and the hard work of Liberty’s ASB. So, mark your calendars for October 21st, put on your favorite childhood nostalgia outfit, and get ready to dance the night away. Together, we’ll create magical memories that will last a lifetime.

About the Contributor
Eleanor Briggs
Eleanor Briggs, Staff Writer
Eleanor Briggs is a staff writer and junior at Liberty High School. In her free time, she enjoys listening to Taylor Swift, swimming and fueling her Red Bull addiction.