Sparks fly: Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour ignites a fashion frenzy

Eleanor Briggs, Staff Writer

Until the day you dye your dog key-lime green you will be barred from joining the cult that is Taylor Swift’s secret society of Swifties. 

The lack of concerts during the COVID lockdown, along with Swift’s release of her newest album Midnights, led to many people striving to get their perfect fantasy concert. Through creative outfits and fun makeup, Taylor Swift lovers are coming together to make this concert Swift’s most memorable tour yet.

Of all the eras of Taylor Swift–Eras, Debut, Fearless, Speak Now, Red, 1989, Reputation, Lover, Folklore, Evermore and Midnights–we are somehow expected to not only narrow down the era, not only the song, but the lyrics as well to inspire our outfit of choice

“How am I supposed to choose between wearing a ballgown or a fully functional storm cloud?” junior Mirabelle Williams said. 

This is a dilemma that is affecting thousands of swifties across the nation as eras tour dates creep closer and people become more and more creative with costumes. Many Taylor lovers are feeling the pressure to perform for their favorite artist.

“I thought that getting the tickets was going to be the difficult part. Boy, was I wrong,” sophomore Charlie Newton said. 

Nevertheless, as many swifties jump headfirst into outfit planning, it can be hard to settle on an outfit – especially for the less crafty of us. Lucky for you, I’ve organized some outfit inspiration in three different categories.

First, we have the era-specific look. This will feature a wide range between the sparkles and hearts of Lover and the dark, ominous looks of Reputation. If you’re interested in this option, try to stay in one specific category, and don’t stray into other albums.  

Next, we have the niche. This is an option only for true swifties, so if your favorite pastimes include dissecting Swift’s genius lyrics then this might be for you. Looks from this category require serious commitment and a knack for investigative work. You might spot some devoted swifties rocking refrigerator costumes, sparkling like a mirrorball, or wearing crimson-stained dresses.  

Last, but most definitely not least, we have the most devoted, die-hard Taylor fans…the DIYers. This terrifying, yet talented, group of people painstakingly create the most elaborate, gorgeous works of art that have ever graced football stadiums. You could even say they are masterminds. That being said, these outfits take time, so start now or forever hold your peace. If you are fearless enough to venture into this outfit realm, you may want to invest in some sewing classes, or I would stay far away from this group of crafters, as you may end up with 20 stitches in a hospital room.

As you decide what to wear to this momentous event, try to keep in mind that no matter where you are sitting, or what you are wearing to the concert, it will be the perfect night, whether you decide to dress up as hipsters or come in your best PJs.