You’ll never want to go back to American TV shows ever again after watching these 5 binge-worthy Korean dramas

Vincent Le, Entertainment Editor

Ever since “Squid Game” and “Single’s Inferno,” Korean shows have exploded in popularity, and rightfully so. Some are heart-wrenching, some comforting—all addicting. Here are five K-dramas for your must-watch list. P.S. Make sure to have a tissue box (or a few) on standby.

“Itaewon Class”:

A diverse group of friends band together to run a street bar whilst plotting revenge on the family responsible for one of their loved one’s death. It covers heavy topics like socioeconomic disparity and discrimination but contains plenty of plot twists and an intense love triangle that lasts years. 

“Nevertheless”:

Despite each of them having very different perspectives on love, two art school students fall for each other. The guy likes to flirt around while the girl doesn’t really believe in love. The relationship is…lowkey toxic, but so interesting. It is slow-paced at times, but there is lots of character development, emotion-evoking chemistry, and LGBTQ+ representation.

“Hometown Cha Cha Cha”:

A dentist moves from bustling Seoul to the quiet seaside village Gongjin, where she befriends a mysterious handyman who completely changes her outlook on life. Every single relationship and character on this show will tug at your heartstrings in a way no other show can. The ultimate comfort show that makes you feel as though Gongjin is your second home. 

“Crash Landing On You”:

While paragliding, a South Korean heiress gets caught in a tornado that brings her to North Korea (I know it sounds ridiculously far-fetched, but trust me: it’s so good). There, she falls in love with a North Korean army officer who vows to protect her identity. Talk about star-crossed lovers. Fun fact: the two leads are dating in real life.

“It’s Okay Not to Be Okay”:

An unusual love story between a psychiatric ward caretaker and a children’s book author with Antisocial Personality Disorder. It has a slow start, but the plot gets very intense. Most impressively, the show does a great job of portraying the two characters’ mental health journeys towards personal growth. 

Honorable Mentions:

“Vincenzo”

“True Beauty”

“Hotel del Luna”

“Extraordinary You”