Most Holiday rom-coms are super predictable and cliché, but we love them for it. Here are six of them.

Vincent Le, Entertainment Editor

Everyone (well, not everyone) loves a good holiday rom-com. Some are cute; some are so ridiculous you question how the film even came to be. Here are six holiday rom-coms in which entertainment is guaranteed. Enjoyment, however, is not.

The Princess Switch: 

Think rip-off The Parent Trap or Twitches, but they’re older, and they are Vanessa Hudgens: one’s a royal princess, and the other’s a small-town baker. Super predictable and cliché, but it’s sort of cute. The set looks beautiful, and you can’t help but laugh at Vanessa Hudgens’ attempts at accents. Also, this one’s a trilogy! The second one, though, is absolutely ridiculous. 

Love Hard:

This is a new one. It’s not as predictable, and provides a modern twist on a classic Christmas love story—it involves catfishing. I admired the Asian representation and how the main guy isn’t conventionally attractive. Actors Nina Dobrev from The Vampire Diaries and Darren Barnett from Never Have I Ever are in this. 

Let it Snow:

Similar to Love, Actually where multiple, separate storylines intersect, it’s a cute, feel-good movie about high school seniors on Christmas Eve. Some reasons to watch: best friends-to-lovers trope, lesbian representation, and Kiernan Shipka. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina fans, anyone?

The Knight Before Christmas: 

This one is pretty cliché and predictable. A medieval knight transports to present-day America and falls in love with a high school science teacher. So yeah, pretty far-fetched and pretty ridiculous. Can someone tell me why Vanessa Hudgens is in every Christmas Netflix original?

Holiday Calendar:

This one has magic in it! A photographer gets a hold of a magical, psychic advent calendar, which alters her outlook on the holidays. Festive and cheesy, but the concept is unique, so I’ll give it that. This acting is…subpar. For Vampire Diaries fans, Kat Graham is in this one. 

A Christmas Prince:

Like The Princess Switch, this one has three movies for you to cringe at or enjoy (or both). It has the same, overdone plotline of “small-town girl and prince fall in love”. But the set and scenery are pretty to look at. And the Prince’s sister, Princess Emily? Stan.