To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

Abigail Peacock, Editor In Chief

This past August, Netflix released To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, the film adaptation of the novel by Jenny Han. The story follows the life of Lara Jean Covey (Lana Condor), an introverted junior in high school who writes letters to her crushes. When her letters are mailed unexpectedly, Lara Jean enters into a fake relationship with Peter Kavinsky (Noah Centineo), one of the boys who received a letter, in order to convince her real crush that she doesn’t like him. The film achieved a 96% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, ranking it among classics like The Godfather and Back to the Future. However, the most amazing part of the movie wasn’t the incredible adaptation of the novel, the swoon-worthy romance, or even Lara Jean’s adorable family—it was the representation of Lara Jean as half-Korean. Without entwining the plot completely with her race (such as in Crazy Rich Asians), her culture is represented through small moments, like when her father (John Corbett) cooks her family Korean food or when her younger sister Kitty (Anna Cathcart) drinks a Korean yogurt drink on the way to school. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is a game changer; it’s a pioneer in the field of movies with main characters of color, and with its talented cast and relatable and heart-wrenching story, it’s no wonder that it’s become a new favorite among viewers young and old.