Hidden Gems in Seattle

Fiona Hinkulow, Senior Writer

Tired of always going to the same places in Seattle? Take a look at these hidden gems!

Fremont Troll

Sculpted by four local artists, this interactive piece of art was the winner of a competition sponsored by the Fremont Arts Council in 1990, as part of a goal to rehabilitate the area under the bridge that was becoming an area of business for drug dealers.

Left Bank Books

Formed in 1979, Left Bank is collectively owned and operated by its workers, and as an anarchist collective, Left Bank has no bosses or managers. Decisions are made in bi-monthly collective meetings based on a consensus process. It also has an amazing consignment section that is definitely worth the visit.

Molly Moon’s

Need an ice-cream fix? Using local ingredients from farms, Molly Moon’s has flavors such as Earl Grey, “Scout” Mint (Girl Scout Thin Mints crushed in), and Melted Chocolate and seasonal flavors including Brown Butter Popcorn, Blood Orange RGB Sorbet, and Vegan Coconut Chunk.

Seattle Meowtropolitan

The first ever cat café in Seattle, customers can reserve a day to come in, have a cup of coffee, and play with the cafés cats that come from the Regional Animal Services of King County. Even if you just want to sit by one of the viewing windows and watch the cats go by, this café is definitely purrfect!
*Must be at least 8 years old to enter
*Limit of 15 people so as to not overstimulate the cats

Suzzallo Library

If you’re looking for a place to study in Seattle, or whether you just want a place to relax, the Library’s beautiful interior and exterior makes it one of the most beautiful structures on the University of Washington campus, housing one of the world’s largest books, the Bhutan by Michael Hawley, and a hand-painted globe bearing the names of famous explorers.